Remote Health Pathways (RHP) is the use of digital remote monitoring technology to enable patients outside of hospitals to receive, record and relay clinically relevant information about their current health and wellbeing. It is used to guide self management decisions by the user / patient and to support the health and care team in their treatment and care planning.
Advantages of using RHP for Citizens
- Less time spent attending and travelling to appointments
- Better access to services
- Increased confidence and capacity to self manage own condition
- People are more active in managing their own care
For Health and Care Services
- Better availability of data to assist diagnosis and early intervention
- Greater adherence to treatment by patients/citizens
- Provision of care – right time, right place complementing existing services
- Productivity gains resulting from less travel and timely face to face contacts
- Better value for NHS resources
Remote Health Pathways
mPower is five-year project supported by the European Union’s INTERREG VA Programme, managed by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB). It will create a cross-border service for older people (age 65+) living with long-term conditions across Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
As part of the mPower project a series of knowledge exchange webinars have been organised. The webinars allow us to learn more about the tools and techniques which mPower is promoting.
Morag Hearty, National Strategic Lead, Remote Health Pathways and Kerry Fletcher, Project Support Manager, NHS Lanarkshire recently recorded a webinar to provide an – Overview from the TEC Home and mobile health monitoring programme in Scotland and local progress and engagement in Lanarkshire.
RHP has gradually expanded in Scotland and, when implemented appropriately, it can help manage the growing demands for health and care services, supporting integrated care. Significant outputs from this TEC programme which provide details on the work programme include the following downloadable publications and reports.
Examples of Home and RHP can be found here