This Programme of work aims to raise awareness of how everyday technology can improve the lives of people living with dementia in Scotland. Working in partnership with Alzheimer Scotland we developed the 2015 Technology Charter for People with Dementia in Scotland. Since then, the collaboration has supported a number of joint initiatives including the development of Purple Alert and About Digital And Me (ADAM).
New! Consumer Technology Test of Change Report
Alzheimer Scotland has evolved a deep understanding of the needs of people who would like to use consumer technologies; off the shelf items, to support them to live independently.
Prior to this piece of work, a national Test of Change was carried out involving several cross-sector partners across the country looking at the efficacy of consumer tech in meeting the aspirations of individuals and families living with a range of long term health conditions. It focused on prevention and self-management and the potential for these devices to delay the need for more formal support.
That led to the creation of ADAM (About Digital and Me) which is an online trusted resource helping people to find the right thing at the right time, based on the lived experience of others with similar wants and needs.
This report builds on that experience and considers how these technologies might be used by citizens independently or in partnership with their Telecare Service Provider at any stage of a user journey, examines how these “ready to use” technologies actually function for those who need a non-standard set up and creates a Consumer Technology Playbook to support those working in this field who might be considering how to incorporate the use of consumer technology to their range of services.
It also raises questions on how best to support the development of services to utilise these technologies and creating the conditions required for successful adoption and long-term use.
Alzheimer Scotland Resources
- Technology Charter for people living with Dementia
- About Digital And Me (ADAM) Helping you find technology products matched to your needs ADAM.
- Purple Alert A community minded app for people with dementia if they are missing.
- Virtual Resource Centre An online space where people will be able to benefit from all of the offerings of a Dementia Resource Centre in the comfort of their own home.
- Alzheimer Scotland App The app will host a wide range of information, updates on events.
- Printer Friendly Suite of Leaflets (with the caveat that the Dementia Circle info is now superseded by ADAM and the link isn’t live):
- Everyday Living – simple everyday products for day to day living
- Staying Connected – helping people stay in touch with family and friends
- Staying Safe & Secure – helping people feel safe and secure and to keep independent
- Getting Out and About – helping people get out and stay physically active
- A Meaningful Life – helping people create and share information about their lives
- Alzheimer Scotland Test of Change Report - Aug 2019 - Test of Change Stage 1: Proof of Concept - project evaluation